Thursday, June 1, 2017

My Illustration Proccess

Over time I've figured out a system of sketching and painting  that works for me. It's probably similar to other artists and still different from some.


Select an inspiration image.  
   I usually scroll through Pinterest, magazines, or Instagram to see what pops out and add my own ideas to it. 

Preliminary Sketch 
   With pencil sketch out the image as loosely and lightly as I can. Then tighten the lines a little 

Sprinkle on glitter blog// my illustration proccess// outline


Add permanent ink 
  I outline the final sketch with a permenent pen and erase the other stray lines. 

Add color 
  I lay down a light layer of water color.   After that has dried I add shadows and let them dry. I repeat this until the layers I need are done. 
Sprinkle on glitter blog// my illustration proccess// first layer
%


Colored pencil 
  I go in to some spots with colored pencil to deepen the shadows and add more contrast. 

Sprinkle on glitter blog// my illustration proccess// colored pencil



White pen & ink 
   I add a few bright highlights with my white Sharpie paint pen. Then use my permanent pen to fix spots in the outline they need it. 



 Sprinkle with glitter.  
   My last step is deciding where I want to sprinkle glitter!

Sprinkle on glitter blog// my illustration proccess// finished


What is your illustration process?

2 comments:

  1. This was really interesting! Thank you for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete