Thursday, December 29, 2016

6 Things I Learned in 2016

Sprinkle On Glitter Blog// 6 things I learned in 2016


In tradition of my favorites of last year and this year I thought I'd list six things I learned this year. Just like the five things I wrote about last year, it was hard to narrow it down to six things because I have made an effort to continually learn as much as I can. As I reflected on the past year, I realized that learning something simple can have as far reaching effects as learning something large. Every piece you can learn deepends your abilities, strengthen your skills, and pushes you closer to finding you style.

Sprinkle On Glitter Blog// 6 things I learned in 2016// dorothy shoes






  1.Keep trying new  techniques after you've learned it one way. 

    I thought that once I learned to draw a figure that would be the end of it. Even with grasping how to draw a basic figure I still have areas that need improvement. In working on them, I didn't find everything I needed the way I was working so I started looking into other techniques. I learned that trying new techniques,  even when it's an area you understand,  can expand your skills. It's comforting to know that there is more than one way to do things and and when a new idea pops up and sketching it isn't working out its a relief to try it again a different way and see that it is possible.





 2. Instagram stories and Snapchat can help you learn to draw

  When I first started using snapchat and then Instagram introduced Instastory it all seemed like too much. Why do we now need videos of people we follow?

  As I started clicking follow and watching the short videos by artists I like, I saw that watching the work can help me improve. Watching their steps to completing their illustration can be put to the test in my practice to see if it works for me. 

Sprinkle On Glitter Blog// 6 things I learned in 2016// blue coat



3. Under Sketching

  I've always outlined before I've painted but an undersketch is a little different. It's very loose and has layers. An undersketch starts as lightly and loosely  as you possibly can blocking in shapes and gradually refining them till you are ready to paint. It helps fulfill what Jane Davenport always says "Everything is forgiven in the sketch"




4.. Tracing can be beneficial

   Tracing gets looked down upon as not really drawing but when I am stuck and I pull something up and trace it a few times, I get a feel for what I'm trying to create. I might find lines in a place I hadn't realized or just become more comfortable with the shape. As long as I don't depend on tracing for everything, tracing can be a tool to get over the hump of something in stumped by.




Sprinkle On Glitter Blog// 6 things I learned in 2016// apple basket

5. Use Negative Space

Negative space is the area around an object or subject. In black and white images it's easy to see as it sort of forms a silhouette. 

By using negative space you can form more accurate relationships between subjects your are drawing. 







6.Follow Zoe Hong

I learned about Zoe Hong late in the year and I'm so glad I did. Her YouTube channel is like a complete fashion illustration itself and it's all for free. Just looking at the titles of we videos  I knew I wanted to see what she had to say and playing the first one I knew I would be disappointed! 

 Zoe Hong walks us through detailed instructions of multiple aspects of fashion illustration. I know that I am going to gain so much as I work through her videos. I can't wait! 

What have you learned in 2016? 

No comments:

Post a Comment