Monday, January 4, 2016

5 Things I Learned in 2015

5 things I learned in 2015- graphic

1. Practice with purpose
     
In "Drawing and Paintng Beautiful Faces", Jane Davenport says some students fill entire sketchbooks of small, practice faces. these students learn the fastest. When I read that I wanted to do it too. I wanted to be good at drawing faces, I wanted to learn fast, and I kind of wanted to beat the other students ;) 

I bought a sketchbook dedicated to practicing faces and what happened surprised me. I really liked drawing them, once I set my desire to draw a perfect face every time, I started noticing small changes and tweaks in each face that could convey emotion or show me something I 

needed to work on in the coming faces. I began to see things I missed when I was trying to 
draw entire faces. 
Sprinkle On Glitter Blog// 5 Things I Learned in 2015// Jane Davenport quote


In the "Supplies Me" class Jane says "Practice is the greatest for of recreation, if it's something you love." This quote struck me like lighting. Taking
time to break down and practice specific things I know I want to improve in my art is one of the best things I can do for myself and it will only enhance my love of creating art!

2. Try


Sprinkle On Glitter Blog// 5 Things I Learned in 2015// finger painted flower field



  A lot of times in classes there have been projects i didnt want to do but i payed for the class so I might as well, right? When I dedicated myself to trying new ideas whether them seemed exciting or not I realized the value in trying. Trying teaches and theres always something to learn whether it be a new technique or clarity of what you dont like.  If I hadn't tried, I never would've found my love for finger painting flowers. Trying new things are worth it!         

3. Make mistakes      
                 
Sprinkle On Glitter Blog// 5 Things I Learned in 2015// redhead


    Perfectionism tends to pop up in me at times, i don't like it, it shows up univited. Ive always 
wondered what its like to be one of those people who thinks what they do is good simply because they did it.
I want my art to be as I see it in my mind. It  never comes out of my brushes that way. Never! Mistakes stand out more than what I like  and it's  easy to be disappointed.                   
If you aren't making mistakes you aren't learning.  If I saw everything as rosy how would I know what I wanted to zone in on and improve? 
Mistakes don't have to be a disappointment but a direction of how to practice and to....      

4. Keep Going
Sprinkle On Glitter Blog// 5 Things I Learned in 2015// Flower Girl

So I make a million mistakes but deciding to keep going has been become invaluable. Why?
 Because I either learn how to correct the mistake, take it in a new direction, or see a spot I want to pay more attention to if I want to paint the same picture again.

My ability to keep going was really put in to play during "write 31 days" when I posted 31 Days of Flowers

5. Have fun
Sprinkle On Glitter Blog// 5 Things I Learned in 2015// red bow shoes

 I love painting and drawing because it's fun to do and I realized having fun making art has no effect on the final product. It's the process that fun, finding inspiration, picking out colors, and using my supplies.

What did you learn this year?

2 comments:

  1. Like the fifth and the sixth photo :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete