Friday, November 7, 2014

Matisse






The first week of "Studying Under the Masters" was artist Henri Matisse , taught by Jeanne Oliver.
Henri Matisse is a French  artist known for his use of colors and pattern.
He didnt grow up as an artist, he studied to be a lawyer, but his mom gave him a set of paints when he was in bed recovering from appendicitis. Of that Matisse says, " From the moment I held the box of colors in my hands, I knew this was my life. I threw myself into it like a beast that plunges toward something they love."




Matisse may have been enraptured and thrown himself into paitning but he felt art was always a struggle for him saying
it took him fifteen years to develop his own style. He continually thought  about his work, applying himself, and  practing the same painting piece over and over again, sometimes up to twenty-two times

The techniques Matisse is most known for is his work in still life, woman, and interiors. None of them are different than other artists of the time but what set him apart was his use props, bright colors and patterns all in one painting. His background was as important as his focal objects.


Knowing it took him so long is really encouraging to me because it shows that I don't have to know
how to do it all right now. I don't even have to be good at what I'm working on because I am going to practice and with each time I practice I place a brick on the stepping stones on my road to my very own style.




In my painting i combined Matisse's signatures of a female model and interior pattern.

My takeaway from Matisee is that it is ok to feel insecure about what you are making, you dont even have to like it, but if you are passionate about it and practice it can be transformed into something you never imageined. Practice might now make perfect but it defniely makes progress.

2 comments: